Outdoor enthusiasts, we have all been there: the call of nature strikes, and you need to find a restroom facility.
Though not always as sophisticated as we might like, vault toilets have a valuable purpose in the great outdoors.
In this post, we will take you on a journey to explore the idea of owning a Vault Toilet.
We’ll discuss everything, from its sustainable concept to its maintenance, usage, and tips for a fresh experience.
Say goodbye to unpleasant odors and let nature’s call be the only whisper you hear on your next adventure.
- 1 What is a Vault Toilet?
- 2 How to Properly Use a Vault Toilet
- 3 Maintenance Tips for a Pleasant Experience
- 4 Tips & Tricks for Avoiding Unpleasant Odors
- 5 Accessories to Enhance Your Vault Toilet Experience
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Vault Toilet?
A Vault Toilet is an eco-friendly dry toilet solution commonly found in rustic camping sites, trailheads, and remote areas. Unlike portable toilets or traditional flush toilets, vault toilets store waste in a watertight underground chamber.
No water or chemicals are used, making it a sustainable and environmentally friendly option.
How to Properly Use a Vault Toilet
Now that we know what these toilets are, let’s discuss the correct way to use them.
Follow these simple steps to ensure you leave the Vault Toilet clean and fresh for the next adventurer:
- Locate the toilet: Vault toilets are typically housed in a small, standalone structure. Look for signage indicating restroom facilities.
- Bring your supplies: As these toilets are often in remote areas, it’s a good idea to carry toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and a small flashlight, just in case.
- Use the seat covers: If provided, use seat covers or place toilet paper on the seat for added hygiene.
- Follow Leave No Trace principles: Properly dispose of waste and toilet paper in the vault toilet. Do not leave any trash or non-biodegradable items in the facility.
- Close the lid: It’s essential to close the toilet lid after use to help reduce odors and keep critters away.
Maintenance Tips for a Pleasant Experience
Vault toilets are low-maintenance, but they do require regular care to remain functional and fresh. Here are some maintenance tips:
- Regular pumping: Periodic waste removal is vital to ensure the underground vault does not overflow. Contact your local waste management company for assistance.
- Airing out: Proper ventilation is crucial to keeping odors at bay. Ensure vents are unobstructed and consider installing a solar-powered fan to improve air circulation.
- Cleaning: Regularly clean surfaces with non-toxic cleaning products, as harsh chemicals can damage the vault’s seal.
- Guestbook: Keep a log of maintenance checks, cleanings, and other pertinent information. It helps future users understand the toilet’s maintenance history.
Tips & Tricks for Avoiding Unpleasant Odors
- Baking soda: A natural and eco-friendly solution, sprinkle baking soda in the vault to help neutralize odors.
- Naturally scented bags: Bring a small, porous bag filled with dried flowers, herbs, or essential oils to hang in the toilet area, masking any unpleasant smells.
- Air fresheners: Use a non-toxic air freshener or make your own with essential oils, water, and witch hazel.
Accessories to Enhance Your Vault Toilet Experience
Make your Vault Toilet experience more enjoyable with a few accessories:
- Lighting: Install a small solar-powered or battery-operated light outside the toilet, illuminating your path to and from the restroom.
- Trash can: Keep a designated trash can near the toilet for easy disposal of waste.
- Signs & banners: Place signs and banners around the restroom area for easy location and added ambiance.
So, if you’re looking for an eco-friendly toilet solution for your next adventure, consider a Vault Toilet.
You’ll be amazed at how this sustainable option makes your trip even more enjoyable!
Plus, with proper maintenance and handy tips & tricks, you can ensure a fresh experience every time. Happy trails!
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should a vault toilet be pumped?
Vault toilets require periodic waste removal to keep the underground vault from overflowing. Contact your local waste management company for assistance with regular pumping.
What cleaning products are safe to use on a vault toilet?
Non-toxic cleaning products should be used when cleaning the surfaces of a vault, as harsh chemicals can damage the seal.
Are there any accessories that can help enhance my experience with a vault toilet?
Yes! Accessories such as solar-powered lights, designated trash cans, signs and banners, and naturally scented bags can all help make your experience more pleasant.
Subscribe to our email newsletter to get the latest posts delivered right to your email.